05 April 2007

My beef with the so-called War Resister "Heroes"

I was reading the Eye Weekly and came across an article talking about war resisters in who are here in Canada. It makes me sick to see these guys getting such publicity. I understand that these guys have issues about serving in the war. Hell I have some issues about the war, but what makes me different is the fact that I realized upon entering the military, I had a good chance of going to war and possibly having have to kill.

The Eye article talks about how these deserters represent the moral best of America. To me they represent ignorance and how clueless Canadians really are when it comes to the deserters. Examining the facts of Jeremy Hinzman case at, http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/en/decisions/public/hinzman/hinzman_e.htm, I have to agree wholeheartedly with the decision of the board. To me, Jeremy is an idiot. He joins the US Army as an infantryman. An infantryman! Did he not know that, as an infantryman, he would have to possibly fight and be expected to fight? Was he not aware of what many of the infantrymen in Vietnam had to endure?

Hinzman then tries to assert that he will get an unfair trial in the US. This is laughable at best. Hinzman wasn't able to provide proof to the Immigration and Refugee Board to show that if he was to stand trial in the US he would get an unfair trial. After having worked in the military justice system I know that he will get a fair courts-martial. The Uniform Code of Military Justice, or UCMJ for short, is simple to read and figure out. I can guarantee that Hinzman violated the Articles related to desertion. There are so many elements that are required to convict and Hinzman has violated all of them.

So Jeremy Hinzman be honest with the public and yourself. And save us from further BS.

P.S. I couldn't link to the Immigration and Refugee board documents in the blog. So you'll have to cut and paste in your browser.

No comments: