21 December 2005

Let me take Political Discourse for $100.

I came across an article in my favorite home paper, The Seattle Times, with the other being The Toronto Star, and was glad that someone else noticed a problem with what is now being termed "political debate". I notice now that news shows, both from the left and right perspective, figure that the best way to debate the issue is to put folks on the shows who are so polar to each other that it basically turns into a shouting match and nothing more. I feel that the goal of debating, just like writing an argumentative paper for English 101, should be to convince the audience to take in cosideration your point of view and maybe even accept the info which will possibly change your belief on that subject. All these guys do now on their shows is just cause people on both sides to become inflamed and just accept in lockstep that the other side must be an idiot and there is no way to converse with them. Look at the political landscape now, back in 1995 when I was graduating high school there never was no mention ever made of red and blue states. Now this in itself has become such a polarized issue. While I don't have a solution to the problem I hope that people on both sides realize that they are starting to push many moderates away. Hell maybe the moderates should just make their own party LOL.

No comments: