30 December 2005

Truly an Army of many

Howzit, ladies and gentelmen? Myself I'm doing fine and getting ready to return back to Atlanta. It seems like years ago that I was just in Atlanta sitting in my midtown apartment, but it's now T-minus 9 days (or so I hope).

Today I feel inspired by many of my fellow soldiers. I know that I wrote awhile back about some of the underlying racism in the military, but I'm truly in awe of my Army brethren.

Yesterday I went to the Chili's located here on post and I took an R&R soldier there so he could get a real meal, since he hadn't had one in awhile, and see what the post had to offer. We got there and ordered a meal to go but when trying to pay I discovered that the restaurant's credit card machine was not working. Now I was just going to go back to my room and get some cash to pay for my meal, but the soldier paid for it instead. Now this soldier did not know me or what type of person I was but he paid for the meal and didn't want me to pay him back. I felt bad and offered many times to repay him but he refused everytime. He then told me, "Your my brother and if I have the money and you don't then I'm going to try to help you out as best as I can." I thanked this guy profusely not just for the money but also for the quick life lesson.

Later after I finished my shift at the USO I realized what he meant. I've made many a friend in the Army and I know if they were to ever ask me to do something for them, that I would do it no questions asked. Even if it meant that there was a chance for bodily harm to myself or financial loss.

Eerie isn't it?

No comments: